[WBEL-users] WBEL kernel slower than RH9?

Milan Kerslager milan.kerslager@pslib.cz
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:20:14 +0100

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:01:06AM -0500, Daniel T. Gynn wrote:

> When I was trying to narrow down a cause of a hardware problem I noticed
> that the WBEL kernel seems slower than a RH9 kernel.
>
> I ran the following test to see for sure:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=2gb bs=1024k count=2048
>
> date;copy 2gb 2gb.copy1;date
> date;copy 2gb 2gb.copy2;date
> date;copy 2gb 2gb.copy3;date

time cp file1 file2

> With kernel 2.4.21-9.0.1ELsmp, the difference between the dates was
> 2:18, 2:23, 2:26.  With kernel 2.4.20-19.9smp, the difference between
> the dates was 1:51, 1:49, 1:48.

Make sure you have the same HDD settings:

hdparm /dev/hda

> This is on a Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon with 2GB RAM.  Nothing major is running

Make the test in sigle user mode right after boot. Use Bonnie++ or
something similar:

http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/

> on the server yet to affect the times.  Does anyone have any ideas why
> this is?

There could be an issue with your HW. You did not told what type of HDD,
IDE/SCSI you have.

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan.kerslager@pslib.cz