[WBEL-users] Another Up2date question

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:32:13 -0500 (EST)

Will Senn said:
>            William,
>
>  Thanks, ok - NO RHEL updates! Yum, hmm - I figure that this must be what
> /etc/yum.conf is for and that I can add the file:///updates directory as
> an entry and away we go, great!

Well, yum.conf is for yum, up2date sources are defined in the
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file.  Up2date supports both yum and apt repos
along with "just a directory of files" (which rhn-applet has issues with).

>  I wasn't subscribed last week, so maybe you already went over this - I
> downloaded the updates and then ran the command:
>  rpm -Fvh $(ls *rpm | egrep -v '^(kernel-)')
>  to update all except the kernel files...
>  well, didn't work - dependency issues

And Arch issues (glibc, kernel, openssl).

> - when I then used the up2date
> program, it figured out that I needed a couple of additional packages
> from the base install and did it's magic. Is there a simple way to
> perform the update from a command line as opposed to the GUI and still
> get the benefit of having the dependencies figured out?

Up2date (you can run up2date-nox from the command line) and yum both come
with WBEL.

--
William Hooper