[WBEL-users] Trying to use Samba...

Joe Brouhard jbrouhard@kcosc.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:03:15 -0600 (CST)

> I needed to implement an Apache Server with support for PHP and MySQL for
> the software development staff. That done, I was also assigned to
> implement
> a file repository (just a bunch of shared directories) for users in
> different departments to store information in the large HD’s in that
> server.
> So my problem arises that all my users have their respective accounts in
> the
> Win2k Active Directory. To maintain both sets of passwords (the original
> accounts + the smbpasswd –a accounts) would be a huge task, that’s why I’m
> trying to find a solution that would allow a user request to the Samba
> server be validated against the the ADS. So far I’ve found some
> documentation on how to allow Linux users login in the ADS instead of the
> Linux server, but that’s not really my goal. I’d greatly appreciate any
> help, or suggestion as to where get help.

We do this very thing here at the City Hall...

Might want to consider using WinBind.. it was designed with Windows 2000
in mind.

It's distributed by SAMBA themselves, i think, so you might want to look
into that???

Also, you can tie SAMBA into a LDAP directory structure.. there's quite a
few HOW-TO's out there I'm sure.  The Linux Documentation Project would be
a good place to start.

--
Joe Brouhard
Chief of Information Services