[WBEL-users] WhiteBox + 10g - status report (and KDE-Cygwin under MS XP)

Michael Squires MSQUIRES@iga.state.in.us
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:55:24 -0500

I've been playing with 10g under WhiteBox on a PIII/1GHz/512MB/30GB
machine.

With 512MB I haven't tried using the Web interfaces to the Enterprise
Manager or SQL, but standard services to a WinXP client (Oracle OEM for
9.2, SQL*Plus, running sqlplus from a DOS/Cygnus Windows shell) all work
fine.  I've imported parts of a database (several GB) and queried it
using SQL*PLUS, OEM, and sqlplus.exe - all works.  ODBC connections to
Access are working, which I was told wouldn't work - I have unixODBC
installed but haven't done anything to configure it.

Only problem I've run into was a failure on my part to understand the
new Recycle Bin, which led to re-installing Oracle 10g, which I've now
done several times (using www.puschitz.com's removal instructions).

I tried install mdbtool (generates Oracle DDL and SQL*Loader input files
from Access databases) per the current article on technet.oracle.com,
but the installation from sources failed with the default WhiteBox
install - I'm assuming that I need to install some other code to support
mdbtool.  I know that mdbtool will compile, since there are RedHat RPMs
and I can compile it under FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE from the ports collection.

I'm managing the LINUX box from an MS Windows XP box running XFree86
under Cygnus for Windows (www.cygwin.com) using either the fvwm or KDE
window managers.  If you try to install KDE I eventually gave up on
directly installing from http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/install/ and
downloaded everything to a local directory manually and then ran the
installer; I then had to run the rebaseall utility which is part of the
rebase package before it would work.  KDE is a bit slower than fvwm, but
a lot more tools are easily available.

Mike Squires