[WBEL-users] White Box wins election on Super Tuesday

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:50:13 -0500

Ralph Roberts / Creativity, Inc. wrote:
> Our new server came in this week on Super Tuesday. The CPU is an Athlon
> 3400+ 64-bit chip. I tried CentOS 3 (still in beta) and TaoLinux--because
> both purported to support the 64-bit chip. TaoLinux could not be induced to
> recognize my video card, hence X windows would not fire up. CentOS installed
> nicely, but I could not get MySQL or PostgreSQL to run. Since I am already
> running WBEL on another server here, I KNEW it would install and do
> perzactly what we needed. And it did ... So WBEL handly won the election and
> the new server is up and running VERY nicely with it. See:

Where did you get the WBEL you used? The only version I see on the
download page is the i386 version. Or did you install that and build the
64bit version from source and reinstall, or ??? I've been contemplating
64 bits, but didn't know there was a 64bit WB available.

Obviously amost any decent Linux will run in 32bit mode, that's not
interesting. I was planning to wait for the new Intel x86-64 CPU,
because it has hyperthreading, which in theory will allow faster
interrupt service.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)