[WBEL-users] Samba 3.0.2a on WBEL

Karl-König Königsson karl-konig.q.konigsson@posten.se
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:02:58 +0200

Simone wrote:
> My (poor?) hardware is an ECS-K7VTA3 (Promise 20265 onboard so I can
> have just 1 hd on every ide port) Motherboard, Duron 1200Mhz,
> 512MB/266Mhz Ram, 2 hard disks 10Gb Software RAID1 for OS, and 2X 200Gb
> HD for storage Software Raid (basically a fileserver).
> People that will connect to the server is around 50, not usually working
> all at the same time, just editing office2000 docs, and some video file.
> Since it's my first important server, and it's going to host the past 5
> years work, I would like to have any opinion on Hardware (should I go
> for a better/faster CPU, or a different Mob, or a W3C pci raid card??)
> and any suggestion on performance or security improvements. The server
> is going to be backup on a tape device.

Sounds similar in principle to what I have here, but for the software RAID.

We have an old Compaq PentiumIII system with two IDE disks and no RAID
and backup on DAT tape. The system is used primarily for three tasks:
CVS repository, shared access via samba to all sorts of files and
project web server.

The CVS setup uses a tracking software called Bonsai (from the Mozilla
project) that adds changes to the CVS repository to a MySQL database as
well, thus enabling me to track all sorts of changes.

This has worked well for the past years but has recently started to slow
down, mostly because of the slightly awkward way Bonsai is implemented.
I get _lots_ of disk access today, due to this.

I have a nice Dell 2600 with hardware RAID standing in the lab, ready to
replace the old box. I have, like you, been doing some seriuos shopping
as to what distro to use; today it is a Mandrake 7.1.

The system is rock steady: the machine has crashed twice in three years,
one was when the handymen pulled the plug because they needed the outlet
and I have added the second time just to be safe; I don't actually
remember a second crash... :-)

So, this leads me to WBEL: hopefully a worthy and as stable replacement
to the old piece of rock...

	Karl-Koenig Koenigsson

--
Karl-Koenig Koenigsson, CM Pablo