[WBEL-users] Samba 3.0.2a on WBEL

Karl-König Königsson karl-konig.q.konigsson@posten.se
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:22:26 +0200

Karl-König Königsson wrote:
> Simone wrote:
>
>> My (poor?) hardware is an ECS-K7VTA3 (Promise 20265 onboard so I can
>> have just 1 hd on every ide port) Motherboard, Duron 1200Mhz,
>> 512MB/266Mhz Ram, 2 hard disks 10Gb Software RAID1 for OS, and 2X
>> 200Gb HD for storage Software Raid (basically a fileserver).
>> People that will connect to the server is around 50, not usually
>> working all at the same time, just editing office2000 docs, and some
>> video file.
>> Since it's my first important server, and it's going to host the past
>> 5 years work, I would like to have any opinion on Hardware (should I
>> go for a better/faster CPU, or a different Mob, or a W3C pci raid
>> card??) and any suggestion on performance or security improvements.
>> The server is going to be backup on a tape device.
>

> Sounds similar in principle to what I have here, but for the software RAID.

Perhaps I was not clear enough, amidst the ramblings... Sounds like it
will work well, at least to me. The sort of thing you want to accomplish
should not put too much of a strain on the hardware, and certainly not
the processor.

As for the Mobo, I can't tell. It should be stable, that is the only
requirement, and I expect that you have done you homework and read all
the reviews on Tom's Hardware and such-like.

Security should not be a major concern either, I recon, since you are
all inside I expect. I you, on the other hand, plan to have this machine
on the public internet, then you need to do some fortifying. Good
reading could be O'Reilly's "Building Secure Servers with Linux" or
"Linux Security Cookbook". (The latter I have and like, the former
sounded like a good title I stumbled over when looking on Oreilly's web
site but I hae yet to read it)

Many words...

	Karl-Koenig Koenigsson

--