[WBEL-users] Question regarding restore...

Joe Brouhard jbrouhard@kcosc.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:53:45 -0600 (CST)

For the first time in my life, I'm stumped with a backup.  LOL.

Anyway, here's the scenario:

I'm attempting to build some sort of robust backup network for our 10-some
linux servers (varing in version numbers from RH 7.3 to 9.0).  The backup
script works, and it does full backups.  i'm certain of that.

However, it's the restore proceedure that I'm stuck on.

Here's what I have thus far:
1) Install Redhat from scratch, using a very bare minimum install.
2) boot into the new redhat system.  download the tarball that contains
the dump files.
3) extract dump files
4) CD to / and then run restore -rf /path/to/dump file

However, i keep seeing "file exists." all over my screen.  I'm pretty sure
this is caused when restore is not copying the files to disk cause the
file already exists...

Someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong here.  I've read the
Restore man page, and it's more or less telling me to mount the disk in
anothe drive... not something i'm particularily interested in right now.

I can use the knoppix CD I have here, if need be.

Thanks in advance!

--
Joe Brouhard
Chief of Information Services