[WBEL-users] WBEL on Dell Inspiron 4000

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser@pmbenterprises.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:19:30 -0500

I'm getting ready to convert my Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop over to Linux,
once again. Because this PC carries my daily personal work and data, I
need to have it run a platform and O/S that will not need to be a
candidate for fresh installs due to newer releases on a frequent basis.
I'm already running WBEL on my server and workstation with expected
success. I've already run Mandrake 9.1 on this laptop with limited
success (power management was flaky and it wasn't stable or dependable).

I would ask that anyone who has used or is using WBEL 3.0-fixed on such
a laptop (make and model, circa 2001) to write to me off-list and give
me an overview of any complications they had to overcome, limitations in
power management, whether they were able to get the Intel CPU to
step-down, etc. I'm already familiar with the Winmodem issue, so that's
not important. Video, sound, power management and stability are my main
concerns.

TIA,

Paul