[WBEL-users] WBEL - on Dell 6100/200

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:47:42 -0500 (EST)

Kyle Gasho said:
> I just thought I'd share a new WBEL install. I install WBEL on a Dell
> 6100/200 with NO issues!
>
> The system has 2 4 GIG drives and 4 8 GIG drives all SCSI. I believe that
> the hardware RAID controller has the drive set in RAID 0 with 2 OS visible
> drives. Drive sda is 8 GIG and drive sdb is 32 GIG.
>
> My question is should I leave the RAID configured like this, or change it
> a RAID 5?

Well it really depends on what your needs are.

If you have a good backup system and just want more space than RAID 0 will
work.  Note that RAID 0 really isn't RAID at all because you will lose the
whole array when one drive goes bad.

If you have a good backup system, but want to be able to continue working
if a drive fails, RAID 5 would be better.  You pay the price of one drive
for this redundancy.

If you have a good backup system, but want to be able to (maybe) continue
working if multiple drives fail, see if your controller supports Raid 10.
You will pay the price of two drives for this redundancy.

--
William Hooper