[WBEL-users] More yum mirrors?

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Tue, 04 May 2004 12:06:04 -0400

Alex Tkachenko wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 08:20, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>Alex Tkachenko wrote:
>>
>>>Just thinking at loud...
>>>
>>>It would be nice to employ a P2P features to address the problems.
>>>Say, the client contacts the official server to get the file name and
>>>file checksums as well as the addresses of other peers which have the
>>>file in question available. Then use technology similar to edonkey to
>>>get the file (possibly from several different sources).
>>>
>>>I understand that this is completely new piece of software to write, but
>>>maybe there is somebody out there with enough time and inspiration...
>>
>>It's called bittorrent.
>>

>>From what I found, bittorent seems to be an interactive tool, I am
> talking about automating the entire process, from figuring out what
> updates were released through installing them onto the system, similar
> to the way we use yum now.
>
> William Hooper pointed out to fedora-devel discussion on this regard
> (http://www.redhat.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=bittorrent&ps=20&o=0&m=all&wm=wrd&wf=222210&ul=%2Farchives%2Ffedora-devel-list)
> where they agree that bittorrent won't suite this purpose in its current
> form but maybe newer versions will. The point there is in performance on
> small vs huge files though; I think that security consideration is also
> an issue with all current P2P technologies - before getting into
> downloading the file from random peers, it would be nice to know that
> this actually the file from "official" update/release/etc. Although one
> may argue that RPM signature may be enough for this purpose.

I take issue with the "completely new piece of software" assumption of
the original poist. I'd much rather see someone start with something
which works and enhance it that to write a totally new tool and specify
a new protocol, just because it has a much higher ratio of function to
effort. Not my effort, so I'm just offering the suggestion.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)