[WBEL-users] Problems with Package Management program

Wed, 05 May 2004 01:55:33 -0500

--=-ULAA33E/aBPNDrPrltsP

It is a known issue (at least by me) with most redhat versions that the
package manager (redhat-config-packages) doesn't work properly after
adding any packages that are not on the install CDs.  Because of this, I
have recommended apt and synaptic on most RedHat versions prior to 9 and
on Fedora Core.  (apt.freshrpms.net)

For WBEL, I instead recommend yum (or up2date) to install new packages.=20
I know this is a pain with big items like gnome or kde, but I don't see
an alternative that works.

-Johnny Hughes

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 00:55, Karl-K=F6nig K=F6nigsson wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I have just made a fresh install of WBEL and then updated it with the=20
> latest packages. I then wanted to add a few things and thought I should=20
> use the "Add/Remove Programs" utility.
>=20
> So, I open the program and select that I want to add "GNOME developent"=20
> and click Update and this is where the troubles start: I get this=20
> dialogue that complains about missing packages! It lists "netpbm" once=20
> and "XFree86-libs" three times, all dependant of packages installed.
>=20
> I then do a quick "rpm -qa | grep netpbm" and find that the package is=20
> indeed installed, as is XFree86-libs. Furthermore all versions are=20
> correct, i.e., all XFree86 packages are of the "4.3.0" variety and with=20
> the "55.EL" extension, XFree86-libs included.
>=20
> I have tried a "rpm --rebuilddb" but to no avail. Now, I realise that I=20
> don't have to be lazy and can add the packages I need by hand (which I=20
> did) but I'd rather have a consistent system, if you see what I mean.
>=20
> Any ideas what I should do?
>=20
>=20
> Cheers!
>=20
> 	Karl-Koenig Koenigsson

--=-ULAA33E/aBPNDrPrltsP

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
It is a known issue (at least by me) with most redhat versions that the package manager (redhat-config-packages) doesn't work properly after adding any packages that are not on the install CDs.&nbsp; Because of this, I have recommended <B>apt</B> and <B>synaptic</B> on most RedHat versions prior to 9 and on Fedora Core.&nbsp; (apt.freshrpms.net)<BR>
<BR>
For WBEL, I instead recommend yum (or up2date) to install new packages.&nbsp; I know this is a pain with big items like gnome or kde, but I don't see an alternative that works.<BR>
<BR>
-Johnny Hughes<BR>
<BR>