[WBEL-users] Weird RPM install problem

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Fri, 7 May 2004 18:55:32 -0500

WBEL-users,

	I've got a very strange problem, that I've never had before:

I have two RPM's that I built myself, that when installed all on one
RPM command line it segfaults rpm, and locks up the RPM db.  When I
do them one at a time, they work fine:

nagios-plugins-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm
nrpe-1.9-1.i386.rpm

I downloaded the associated tarballs from sourceforge.  I extracted
the .spec file.  I dump the tarballs into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES,
I dump the .spec files into /usr/src/redhat/SPECS.

# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

# rpmbuild -ba nagios-plugins.spec
# rpmbuild -ba nrpe.spec

# cd ../RPMS/i386

# useradd nagios

[root@hawk i386]# rpm -Uhv nagios-plugins-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm nrpe-1.9-1.i386.rpm
Segmentation fault

At this point, my RPM database is stuck until I reboot.  If I do:

rpm -Uhv nagios-plugins-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm

that will mostly work, but will hang on a futex.  The RPM database will never
get updated, but the package is installed.  I reboot.

I run this:

rpm -Uhv nagios-plugins-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uhv nrpe-1.9-1.i386.rpm

That works just fine.  My package installs fine.

I run:

# rpm -e nrpe-1.9-1.i386.rpm
# rpm -e nagios-plugins-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm

# rpm -Uhv nagios-plugins-1.3.1-1.i386.rpm nrpe-1.9-1.i386.rpm
I get another segmentation fault, again I have to reboot before my
RPM database works again.  So my problem is pretty repeatable.

	I've had other packages I've created on this machine fail also.
The details escape me right now, but the
msttcorefonts-1.3-4.noarch.rpm (also from sourceforge) I know for a
fact died on me every time I tried to do an install.  I grabbed the
same spec file, drug it over to a RH 7.2 box, build the package
there, and it installs fine on both the 7.2 machine, and the WBEL
3.0 machine.

	I've built the nagios-plugin and nrpe RPMs from the same sources
probably a half dozen times on RH 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9.0.  While
I've had problems before, it was mostly that it was attempting to
chmod the files to a user that didn't exist.  All I had to do was
useradd nagios (as I did above), and everything was fine after that.

	Any chance there's another WBEL and nagios user out there that
has seen this?  Anybody else had odd problems with third part
SRPM's?  It wouldn't really bother me, other then the fact, that I
have to reboot to clear up the problem, and I'm not sure if I yumify
the RPM's if I can get YUM to install them one at a time.

	I've googled about, but I haven't seen anyone who as the same
problems I do on WhiteBox.

	Thanks,
		Kirby