[WBEL-users] Weird RPM install problem

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Fri, 7 May 2004 23:27:00 -0500

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:05:38PM -0500, Vincent.Raffensberger@dtn.com wrote:
> I don't have an answer for you, but I do have some (hopefully) helpful
> suggestions:

	Yes, your suggestion was most helpful...

> Here are a couple related tips:
>
> You can typically build an rpm from a tarball by using 'rpmbuild -tb
> tarball.tgz'.  Rpm will try to find the spec file within the tarball and
> you won't need to jump through hoops.

	You know I remember reading that in the man page, thanks that'll
save me time in the future.

> If your rpm database gets corrupted, you can repair it.  If it's frequent
> enough, make a script to do this:
>
> killall -9 rpm rpmb rpmd rpme rpmi rpmk rpmq rpmt rpmu rpmv
> rm -rf /var/lib/rpm*.* /var/lib/rpm/__db* /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb*.*
> rpm -v --rebuilddb

	This was in fact the fix.  After doing this, it ran just fine.
I hate the RPM database.  It always cause me more trouble then is
solves.  Glad to know I'm not insane...  I have a half dozen
machines built exactly the same way (I'm writting kickstart scripts
to build identical machines), I'll have to see if something I'm
going it causing this problem.

	Thanks a bunch,
		Kirby