[WBEL-users] question on Automount

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Sat, 15 May 2004 10:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

Loyd said:
> I'm having trouble with my new White Box install.  I'm trying to get two
> fat32 volumes to mount so I can share them via SMB.
> They won't mount automatically, like in other distributions so I did some
> research and found out I can use /etc/fstab or Automount, which is also
> called Autofs?. Is that right?
> I read that the fstab option is a drain on system resources so I decided
> to go the Automount route.  Upon reading further however It seems to me
> that Automount is for removable media. I don't need a timeout option to
> mount a filesystem on a HDD, right?

I'm not sure where you read that putting a mount in fstab is "a drain on
system resources".  It sounds like you want the partitions mounted at boot
and always mounted.  That is a job for fstab.

If, however, you wanted the drives mounted on demand (say for example an
nfs mount, or mounting a smbfs share from another server), then autofs
might be what you want.

--
William Hooper