[WBEL-users] vsFTPd

Michael Squires MSQUIRES@iga.state.in.us
Tue, 18 May 2004 13:23:15 -0500

Richard Swift wrote:
> General newbie question. I'm trying to upload files from a winxp
client to
> a vsFTP server. I need the chmod properties to allow others to
download
> these files. I'm not sure how to accomplish this, I'm hopeing someone
will
> be able to help figure out how to accomplish this because I only have
> remote access to this box.

If you have ssh enabled, winscp2 is a very full-featured Free Software
scp file transfer client for windows.  We use it for almost everything.

   Ed

A Google search led to a page which described this setup for me; I
didn't keep a copy around, but it was easy to find.  Setup involved
creating a user and group for ftp and then making users members of the
ftp group and then making the ftp directories and files readable by the
ftp group.

ftp is a Bad Idea if used over an insecure network, since passwords can
be trivially sniffed.  (Trivial = less than 30 seconds).  I have to use
it on our internal network since the PC people haven't tumbled to SSH,
but I use www.cygwin.com's Cygnus Tools for Windows for personal
connections to the WhiteBox server which provides a UN*X shell under XP
(including KDE 3.1.4, which works although a bit slowly - installation
was a bear, apparently due to problems with connections to Sourceforge,
I finally did the install by manually downloading everything to a local
directory and then installing from that directory).

The other solution on an internal network is to run samba, which is my
preferred solution since this lets PC people use PC tools.  Since samba
allows for encrypted passwords I doubt that this is less secure than
ftp.

Another solution is to set up an http server, and then control access
through .htaccess files.

Mike Squires