[WBEL-users] Migration to WBL 3 from Redhat

Tom Cooper tcooper@starpower.net
Fri, 21 May 2004 08:47:09 -0400

I recently migrated a couple of RH boxes to WBL 3.  I've had some good
experiences with this.

I basically followed the process in a handy whitepaper on the IBM site
documented here:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/linux/pdfs/rhel3_upgrade.pdf

I did an upgrade in place without reformatting the filesystems, and one
thing that I've noticed is that there are rpm's in the rpm db that were
for the redhat installation.  If you're planning an upgrade-in-place,
I'd recommend removing/renaming the rpm database directory prior to
installation of wbl on that filesystem.  If you don't, I've had good
experience with rpm -e on the old versions.  So far I haven't trashed my
box.

Hope folks find this helpful.

Regards,
Tom Cooper