[WBEL-users] amusing anecdote

Tom Cooper tcooper@starpower.net
Fri, 21 May 2004 09:22:43 -0400

Sorry to flood your inboxes this morning, but I guess I've got some
pent-up need for communications.  I suspect that the flow of mail from
me will dry up a bit after this.

I've been working on a design of a patch process for RH ES at <insert
Fortune 500 company name here> and was unable to get funding for setting
up the test boxes in the lab.  Of course, in time this problem will go
away, but our business problem exists RIGHT NOW!

Thankfully I stumbled across the WBEL project, and built some lab boxes
quickly.  We developed our patch application/removal/backout process by
applying RedHat updates to those boxes.  (The patch process uses
proprietary software, so I can't offer it to anyone here.  Sorry.)

Eventually we broke one of the boxes.  REALLY broke it.  The RPM
database was corrupt.  I fugured that it was because we had applied,
removed, and re-applied RH patches to WBEL dozens of times, and it was
too much.  We rebuilt the box and continued our testing.

The other day I was notified by the Linux engineering team that they had
an urgent need to deploy a RedHat patch to their production boxes.
Apparently there's an RPM bug that causes the rpm database to be munged!

It seems that this problem is unrelated to the WBEL build after all!

John, you may be interested to know that we've had excellent results
applying RHES binary patches to WBEL boxes .

This should be the last message from me for a while.  I've got to go do
some actual work!

Regards,
Tom Cooper