[WBEL-users] gnome-session errors

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Tue, 25 May 2004 14:44:17 -0700

Tom Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 19:41, Ed wrote:
>
>>>When I try to start X on the console, X dies after gnome-session tanks.
>>>gnome-session complains about failure to read (or write, I can't
>>>remember right now) the correct number of bytes.
>>
>>Can you post a complete error message?
>

> Full details are in the attached file, but the meat of the error is
> below:
>
> The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
> erro'.
>   (Details: serial 675 error_code 16 request_code 153 minor_code 20)

I've looked at the output.  Are you feeling adventerous?  You might run
the gnome start script in debug and synchronous mode, that might tell
you something about the problem.  The symptom is a protocol error.  It
looks like a bug in gnome, a problem with memory or overheating, or a
bug in the X windows system.