[WBEL-users] About security ?

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Wed, 26 May 2004 14:09:48 -0400

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 11:28, Jean LEE wrote:
> Hello all,

Either your message was delayed several days, or your clock is off
several days.

> I'm new to Whitebox and relatively new to Linux. I am studying what
> distribution I could use for my network and looking on White Box with
> care.
>
> The main question I have is : how is it about the security ?
> I want to use a Linux server as an internet server for my network and
> then only use IP-masquerade and a good Firewall with IP-tables on this
> server.

Might want to look at one of the compact distros that boot from
floppy/CD for this purpose if it is not a general-purpose server.  OTOH
WBEL should work fine, perhaps using the minimum installation option.

> Is WBEL well suited for these applications or is it better to buy RHEL
> (for a better security, better update times or some other reasons)? Or
> perhaps is there a better distribution than Redhat enterprise for this
> task......
>
> Any advices or discussion would be great. Thanks.

WBEL is essentially RHEL except for some lag in the timing of security
updates, and if you can't wait for WBEL updates you can roll your own
from RHEL SRPMS, so the major consideration there would be the value you
place on Red Hat support, not security.

Phil