[WBEL-users] Virtual Private Network and WBEL

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Thu, 27 May 2004 13:43:26 -0700

Jean LEE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am actually studying WBEL to know if I can use it in my company.
>
> We would like to connect two private networks via internet (using VPN).
> Each private networks are composed of MS and Linux stations with a Linux
> router to share the internet connection.
>

> ----------      LAN          -------------    Internet
> ---------------    LAN ----------
> -   1   ------------------------  Linux  ---------------------------
> Linux    ------------   1    -
> ----------         |             - Router-
> - Router   -    |      ----------
> -------------                         ---------------     |
> ----------
> |                                                                       |      ----------
>
> -   2
> ----------|                                                                       |-------
> 2   -
> ----------
> |                                                                       |
> ----------
>
> |                                                                       |
> ----------
> |                                                                       |
> ----------
> -   N
> ----------|
> |------    N   -
> ----------
> ----------
>

> Has anybody already done this with WBEL ?
> What protocol did you use (PPtP, IPsec, SSH and PPP) ?
> Which way to realise it is the more secure ?

Probably the easiest setup VPN for linux is openvpn which is based on
SSL over UDP encapsulating IP.  (http://openvpn.sf.net)  You don't have
the performance problems of TCP over TCP protocols like PPP over SSH.
Also, fyi, PPtP is trivially crackable, I woudn't use it for anything
where security matters.

   Ed

> I read the VPN howto and VPN masquerading howto but didn't find the
> method to do it with 2.4 or higher kernel. Is there any howto for these
> kernel?

Check the openvpn site.