[WBEL-users] Virtual Private Network and WBEL

List Drop Box list@astatic.net
Thu, 27 May 2004 14:15:21 -0700

Ed wrote:
> Jean LEE wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am actually studying WBEL to know if I can use it in my company.
>>
>> We would like to connect two private networks via internet (using
>> VPN). Each private networks are composed of MS and Linux stations with
>> a Linux router to share the internet connection.
>>

>> ----------      LAN          -------------    Internet
>> ---------------    LAN ----------
>> -   1   ------------------------  Linux  ---------------------------
>> Linux    ------------   1    -
>> ----------         |             - Router-                          -
>> Router   -    |      ----------
>>                    |             -------------
>> ---------------     |
>> ----------
>> |
>> |      ----------
>> -   2
>> ----------|
>> |-------   2   -
>> ----------
>> |
>> |      ----------
>>
>> |                                                                       |
>> ----------
>> |
>> |      ----------
>> -   N
>> ----------|
>> |------    N   -
>> ----------
>> ----------
>>

>> Has anybody already done this with WBEL ?
>> What protocol did you use (PPtP, IPsec, SSH and PPP) ?
>> Which way to realise it is the more secure ?
>

> Probably the easiest setup VPN for linux is openvpn which is based on
> SSL over UDP encapsulating IP.  (http://openvpn.sf.net)  You don't have
> the performance problems of TCP over TCP protocols like PPP over SSH.
> Also, fyi, PPtP is trivially crackable, I woudn't use it for anything
> where security matters.
>
>   Ed
>

>> I read the VPN howto and VPN masquerading howto but didn't find the
>> method to do it with 2.4 or higher kernel. Is there any howto for
>> these kernel?
>

> Check the openvpn site.
>

>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Jean.

The easiest way to do this is to use one of the "appliance" distros for
this purpose.  It's point-and-click easy.

Check out:

http://www.smoothwall.org/
http://www.ipcop.org/
http://www.astaro.org/

each of these can be set up and running in under 30mins including format
and install.

-jk