[WBEL-users] Virtual Private Network and WBEL

Fri, 28 May 2004 06:04:53 -0500

--=-1NzsgqNf+S/n8cTEung8

> > Has anybody already done this with WBEL ?
> > What protocol did you use (PPtP, IPsec, SSH and PPP) ?
> > Which way to realise it is the more secure ?
>
> Probably the easiest setup VPN for linux is openvpn which is based on
> SSL over UDP encapsulating IP.  (http://openvpn.sf.net)  You don't have
> the performance problems of TCP over TCP protocols like PPP over SSH.
> Also, fyi, PPtP is trivially crackable, I woudn't use it for anything
> where security matters.
>
>    Ed
>

> > I read the VPN howto and VPN masquerading howto but didn't find the
> > method to do it with 2.4 or higher kernel. Is there any howto for these
> > kernel?
>
> Check the openvpn site.

I haven't used openvpn with WBEL, but there is a guy who set it up (and
has posted a guide) at LinuxHelp.net (where I am an admin).  Here is a
link:

http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=3214

There is one part of the guide that says you have to recompile the
kernel to get bridge and tun modules ... but you can just install the
kernel-unsupported package instead.

-Johnny Hughes
http://www.hughesjr.com

--=-1NzsgqNf+S/n8cTEung8

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#737373"><I>&gt; Has anybody already done this with WBEL ?
&gt; What protocol did you use (PPtP, IPsec, SSH and PPP) ?
&gt; Which way to realise it is the more secure ?

Probably the easiest setup VPN for linux is openvpn which is based on
SSL over UDP encapsulating IP.  (</FONT><A HREF="http://openvpn.sf.net"><U>http://openvpn.sf.net</U></A><FONT COLOR="#737373">)  You don't have
the performance problems of TCP over TCP protocols like PPP over SSH.
Also, fyi, PPtP is trivially crackable, I woudn't use it for anything
where security matters.

   Ed

&gt;
&gt; I read the VPN howto and VPN masquerading howto but didn't find the
&gt; method to do it with 2.4 or higher kernel. Is there any howto for these
&gt; kernel?

Check the openvpn site.
</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
I haven't used openvpn with WBEL, but there is a guy who set it up (and has posted a guide) at <B>LinuxHelp.net</B> (where I am an admin).&nbsp; Here is a link:<BR>
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=3214">http://www.linuxhelp.ca/forums/index.php?act=ST&amp;f=15&amp;t=3214</A><BR>
<BR>
There is one part of the guide that says you have to recompile the kernel to get <B>bridge</B> and <B>tun</B> modules ... but you can just install the kernel-unsupported package instead.<BR>
<BR>
-Johnny Hughes<BR>
http://www.hughesjr.com
</BODY>