[WBEL-users] Re: Still killing me softly with mon

Ed Morrison emorrison@ncen.org
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:25:11 -0800

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply to those of you that have helped me with
my mon problems, life interfered with my ability to deal with this for
awhile.  Anyway, I have attached a guide (I use the term loosely) to show
how to install mon.  I have no doubts that those of you who helped me do not
need this.  I'm tired of being a consumer of everyone else's thought power
and hard work and post this as a way of contributing to the list.  I hope
this helps someone out there that might be interested in running mon to
watch their network. That said, I no longer use the web interface for this
and I have not included any web configuration for it.

Ed

If there is any interest I will do the same for MRTG.....

I performed a minimal install of WBEL as described by Johnny Hughes Jr. with
the exception of adding the gcc compiler tools at installation.  Johnny's
Guide can be found at: http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/27/30/Guides

Once the installation and upgrade are complete:

cd /usr/local/src/
wget http://linux.voyager.hr/fping/fping-2.2b1-1.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh fping-2.2b1-1.i386.rpm
cp /usr/sbin/fping /usr/bin

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Time::HiRes'
cd /root/.cpan/builds/Time-HiRes* (the current version of Time-HiRes)
unset LANG ; perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Time::Period'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Convert::BER'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Mon::SNMP'

cd /usr/lib/
wget  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/admin/mon/mon-0.99.2.tar.gz
tar -zvxf mon-0.99.2.tar.gz
rm mon-*.tar.gz
mv mon-* mon
cd mon
mkdir /usr/lib/mon/log.d
mkdir /etc/mon
cp etc/example.cf /etc/mon/mon.cf
vi /etc/mon/mon.cf

Modify the mon configuration for your network environment and add all the
hosts you are going to monitor to your hosts file.

For autostart of mon on boot up:
vi /etc/rc.local
/usr/lib/mon/mon

To manually start mon