[WBEL-users] Fyi on dell precision 670

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King@lmit.com
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:01:38 -0600

Just something I had to deal with in case someone searching the list needs
the info.

I had a Dell 670 sent to me as the techs couldn't get it to take a load.
Looking at it, the problem was that RH Update3 and Update 5 did not contain
the necessary SCSI drivers, therefore the disks are never found. I figure
the same will occur with WBEL as well.

You will need to make a driver disk from Dells support downloads for the 670
( aic79xx-2.0.8-3.tar.gz )

I also found that their dual-head NIC drivers listed for download are
incorrect. They list only the 64 bit versions. It turns out you can get the
one for the video card shipped with that box by getting this driver:
nvidia-6105-1-i386.tar.gz

And lastly, the NIC wont work since Intel has not made the driver available
for the gig e1000 adapter (the default one will not work): "Intel is not
supplying patches against the kernel source to allow for static linking of
the driver."

So you will need to download that one as well

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&strT
ypes=DRV&ProductID=1098&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21

Greg King