[WBEL-users] Fyi on dell precision 670

Nigel Kendrick nigel.kendrick@petdoctors.co.uk
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:49:08 -0000

I had a similar Intel e1000 LAN chip issue with a couple of Acer G310
servers and the Acer support site had the necessary download.

I bought one G310 with a SCSI disk subsystem and one with SATA - both
work fine with WBEL - nice kit for the price - the only caution is that
you need a metal strip to mount drives and you need to wrestle them from
Acer or their spares suppliers - they keep sending me PCI expansion bus
blanking plates for the back of the server and like most techs I have
dozens of these in every drawer and desk tidy already!

Nigel Kendrick

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org] On Behalf Of King, John (Greg)
(LMIT-HOU)
Sent: 04 November 2004 16:02
To: whitebox-users@beau.org
Subject: [WBEL-users] Fyi on dell precision 670

Just something I had to deal with in case someone searching the list
needs the info.

I had a Dell 670 sent to me as the techs couldn't get it to take a load.
Looking at it, the problem was that RH Update3 and Update 5 did not
contain the necessary SCSI drivers, therefore the disks are never found.
I figure the same will occur with WBEL as well.

You will need to make a driver disk from Dells support downloads for the
670 ( aic79xx-2.0.8-3.tar.gz )

I also found that their dual-head NIC drivers listed for download are
incorrect. They list only the 64 bit versions. It turns out you can get
the one for the video card shipped with that box by getting this driver:
nvidia-6105-1-i386.tar.gz

And lastly, the NIC wont work since Intel has not made the driver
available for the gig e1000 adapter (the default one will not work):
"Intel is not supplying patches against the kernel source to allow for
static linking of
the driver."

So you will need to download that one as well

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&
strT
ypes=DRV&ProductID=1098&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21

Greg King

---