[WBEL-users] Last Opennssh version and how to create WBEL rpm from last sources.

Randy Kelsoe randykel@swbell.net
Sat, 06 Nov 2004 08:17:17 -0600

Jean Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I see that openssh is the ssh server for WBEL and, in the updates
> mirror, the last version for WBEL is openssh 3.6.1. On the Openssh
> website, it's the 3.9.1. How can I do to take their last sources (or
> anything else) and then create my own rpm for WBEL?
>
> What do I have to do then to give it (place it on an FTP server) to
> other WBEL users?

Checkinstall is good for this
(http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/). You can get the tarball
for a package, untar it, do your ./configure and make, and where you
normally do a 'make install', you type checkinstall. This will build and
install an RPM for you for the package.

If you are looking for the latest security updates, they might already
be in your current ssh version. RedHat will often patch their version
with the latest security fixes, and keep a lower version number than is
current.

Once you create the RPM's you can put them on a website and give your
users a link on where to download them.