[WBEL-users] vsftpd is ftpd! but how to connect?

bishop bishop@platypus.bc.ca
Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:42:55 -0800

John Hinton wrote:
> Try turning off passive mode in your ftp client. If that doesn't work,
> take a look in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf and have a nice long read on all
> the potential settings you may configure. It is a very flexible program.

.. just not as flexible as the decade-older app it's trying to replace!

That, and a series of annoyances with this half-baked but potentially
useful app, is why I tried Pro and one other whose name escapes me
before settling back to Wu.

IMHO, vsftpd was one of the more egregious examples of 'shiny-things
creep' in RH8, shipment of half-baked featureless and documentation-free
packages whose only claim to fame was being so new that their one-man
devel team hadn't had to deal with a real bug yet.
</opine>

  - bish