[WBEL-users] Conclusions for WB Linux

Benjamin Smith lists@benjamindsmith.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:13:06 -0800

I've been researching WB Linux for most of today. I discovered this just
yesterday, and have been searching for an answer to the dillema posed by Red
Hat: A) Pay too much or B) upgrade everything every year

I'm now running WB Linux in a VMWare session, testing it, and reading thru the
mailing list.

Here's what I've concluded, let me know if I'm wrong:

1) This is the answer I've been looking for! It's just like RH 9, only with
security updates! Hoo ya! I love you all! Thank you Beauregard Parish Public
Library!

2) There's a real problem with mirrors being dull reflections. On my first 3
attempts to update with yum on a freshly installed respin1 install, I got
"nothing to do". So, to use this effectively, I'll be doing an rsync of the
central repo and then running my own yum repository for my 15-ish servers.
(They always seem to be somewhat in flux!) Is there a better way to go?

3) There seems to be a fairly active community around WB Linux. I wonder
when/if it actually forks?  (a la Mandrake) Will it eventually get folded
back into RedHat like Fedora?

-Ben

--
"I kept looking around for somebody to solve the problem.
Then I realized I am somebody"