[WBEL-users] Conclusions for WB Linux

Alan Sparks asparks@quris.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:40:36 -0700

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:13, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> 1) This is the answer I've been looking for! It's just like RH 9, only with
> security updates! Hoo ya! I love you all! Thank you Beauregard Parish Public
> Library!

Just for the record, RH9 is updated by the Fedora Legacy project
(http://www.fedoralegacy.org/).

> 2) There's a real problem with mirrors being dull reflections. On my first 3
> attempts to update with yum on a freshly installed respin1 install, I got
> "nothing to do". So, to use this effectively, I'll be doing an rsync of the
> central repo and then running my own yum repository for my 15-ish servers.
> (They always seem to be somewhat in flux!) Is there a better way to go?

Mirrors are overworked.  If you have a few or more than a few machines,
you want to set up a local repository.

> 3) There seems to be a fairly active community around WB Linux. I wonder
> when/if it actually forks?  (a la Mandrake) Will it eventually get folded
> back into RedHat like Fedora?

WB is produced from RedHat EL sources, but it is /not/ a RedHat product
or effort.  It's independent of RedHat, and I can't see anything
"merging back."