[WBEL-users] Conclusions for WB Linux

bishop bishop@platypus.bc.ca
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:20:32 -0800

Alan Sparks wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:13, Benjamin Smith wrote:

>>3) There seems to be a fairly active community around WB Linux. I wonder
>>when/if it actually forks?  (a la Mandrake) Will it eventually get folded
>>back into RedHat like Fedora?
>
> WB is produced from RedHat EL sources, but it is /not/ a RedHat product
> or effort.  It's independent of RedHat, and I can't see anything
> "merging back."

It's joined more than you think.

Some bugs cannot be fixed because of the risk of migrating away from the
upstream source and the added work thereof.  Therefore, one bug I've
reported upstream and I'm now only lobbying for some RH guys ot actually
see the patch I'm handing them so that it can roll out in RHEL and thus,
WBEL.

In a sense, they'd be buying something back, but we're only missing the
part where the downstream source is modified.

Unfortunately, this does lend itself to the kind of stress that causes
projects to fork, but I think that Mr Morris will not mind overmuch -
controlling the source doesn't seem along his goals - as long as he's
not dragged into support issues involving derived work, and I think that
any such fork would be completely amicable, with code flying across the
callosum in both directions.

  - ..