[WBEL-users] Head Less

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:05:46 -0600

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:56:24AM +1100, Michael Falzon wrote:
> Hi All
>      just like to know if some does know can wb3 do a headless install ?

Yes.  I haven't every done it, but I'm only one step away.

You can do it one of 4 ways:

1.  Setup a VNC GUI via a boot disk (never done this personally).

2.  Setup a Serial port install (never done this personally).

3.  Create a WBEL 3.0 install CD that points to a kickstart file by
default.

4.  Use netbooting to do the install.

I've done the kickstart file piece, but I still had to type the
kickstart file I wanted it to use on the syslinux boot prompt.
However, if you burn a new image you can change the default.  This
one is brain dead simple.  But you need one boot CD for each machine
class you install onto (if there are any varitions in the kickstart
image).

I've done the network boot install via a PXE/DHCP/tftp install.  I
forget the details, but it wasn't particularly hard.  The one tricky
part is you have to build syslinux to do the initial boot, but it
will suck down a Linux kernel over the wire and boot it with the
options you put into the tftp config files.  However, this one is
very nice, as you can use the MAC addr to key the configuration to.
I've set this up in the past because I didn't have CD burner handy,
and I didn't have a boot CD with me to do the install from.

Either 3 or 4 are relatively straight forward.  4 requires you have
another machine on the same LAN, and that the machine supports net
booting.

	Thanks,
		Kirby