[WBEL-users] Enterprise Managment Suggestions

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:21:00 -0500

>On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 09:41, Tony wrote:
>

>>Sorry if this is a tad OT, but does anyone have suggestions for 'enterprise
>>management' tools?
>>
>>Having to manage a whole department of machines separately is a drag. What
>>is needed is
>>something like Microsoft's' GPO/Active Directory..
>>
>>Short of writing a whole bunch of scripts ( and perhaps a GUI for our
>>'admins' ) on my own,
>>what all have you people dealt with that can do the same sort of job? And
>>preferably GPL or
>>BSD licensed..

Webmin is a pretty good free tool. One of its best features is that it
seems to work along just fine from both the GUI as well as getting along
with hand configs done through the console. It is a little rough around
the edges, and a bit unclear as to just what you're doing sometimes, but
rarely does it actually break something. It also has a clustering
package to manage many servers at once. Buy the book, and give it a run.
I'm very happy with it myself. OH, and it is GPL and it is mostly
written in perl, so you can hack areas if you need/want to.

Best,
John Hinton