[WBEL-users] problem with rsync script

Benjamin J. Weiss Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@birdvet.org
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:02:24 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Michiel van Es wrote:

> Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Anth Courtney wrote:
> >

> >>Hello Michiel,

> >>It appears that the whitebox/3.0/en/updates folder doesn't exist on
> >>ncsu anymore.
> >>
> >>Connecting via ftp and doing a list of the whitebox/3.0/en directory
> >>confirms this:
> >>
> >>ftp> ls
> >>227 Entering Passive Mode (152,1,138,20,38,51)
> >>150 Here comes the directory listing.
> >>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Nov 16 11:10 extras
> >>drwxr-xr-x    4 0        0            4096 Nov 16 11:10 iso
> >>drwxr-xr-x    2 0        0           36864 Oct 11 02:24 obsolete-updates
> >>drwxr-xr-x    4 0        0            4096 Nov 16 11:10 os
> >>
> >>If you run your rsync script and specify os instead of updates, then
> >>it runs without error.
> >

> > Do CentOS or Taos or whatever have these problems?
>
> I don't know..as far as I can see it only a rsync problem 'cause NCSU is
> the only host delivering rsync updates.
> I changed my scripts to wget/ftp..and ftp.belnet.be as update host..
> No problemo :)

So how do you reconcile the files that have changed with those that
haven't?  Or are you just deleting the whole directory and grabbing it
again?  The thing I like about rsync is that I'm only grabbing the changed
files.

The thing that's starting to bug me about whitebox is that it's not
community-based.  The library folks actively do *not* want anybody else's
help in ensuring that updates are timely.  There's only one rsync server.
etc.

I did a quick look (*very* quick) at CentOS's website just now, and they
have several rsync mirrors available.  I'll have to look into their update
procedures, etc tonight.

I guess the real problem is that whitebox has at least two
"single-point-of-failure" areas.  One guy (John Morris) who's doing the
updates and hasn't got the time to keep up with them, and one rsync
mirror.  I'm concerned that there may be more.

Yes, yes, I know, there's other distros out there.  I'm gonna look at them
tonight.  I just thought that this was the one, damnit.

Ben