[WBEL-users] problem with rsync script

Michiel van Es michiele@info.nl
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:05:17 +0100

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Michiel van Es wrote:
>

>>Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>>>Do CentOS or Taos or whatever have these problems?
>>
>>I don't know..as far as I can see it only a rsync problem 'cause NCSU is
>>the only host delivering rsync updates.
>>I changed my scripts to wget/ftp..and ftp.belnet.be as update host..
>>No problemo :)
>

> So how do you reconcile the files that have changed with those that
> haven't?  Or are you just deleting the whole directory and grabbing it
> again?  The thing I like about rsync is that I'm only grabbing the changed
> files.

I just trust that the uploaded updated rpm files won't change.
I use the -nc option..so only the files I'm missing are being transfered.

> The thing that's starting to bug me about whitebox is that it's not
> community-based.  The library folks actively do *not* want anybody else's
> help in ensuring that updates are timely.  There's only one rsync server.
> etc.
>
> I did a quick look (*very* quick) at CentOS's website just now, and they
> have several rsync mirrors available.  I'll have to look into their update
> procedures, etc tonight.
>
> I guess the real problem is that whitebox has at least two
> "single-point-of-failure" areas.  One guy (John Morris) who's doing the
> updates and hasn't got the time to keep up with them, and one rsync
> mirror.  I'm concerned that there may be more.

I completely agree with you.
There is so much need for extra rsync servers and more up2date maintainers..

> Yes, yes, I know, there's other distros out there.  I'm gonna look at them
> tonight.  I just thought that this was the one, damnit.

I do not want to change a bunch of server again to another distro..:(

> Ben

Michiel