[WBEL-users] Rsync Updates Organizing

Michiel van Es michiele@info.nl
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:23:07 +0100

David Mir wrote:
> Sorry I sent this out on Monday but used wrong reply address so it never got
> posted |-) .
>
> After reading through the mailing list archives, trying several servers and
> comparing packages to RHEL3 I realized that Whitebox Repository packages are
> not being updated (I saw the post from Vikki).  One of my biggest fears in
> choosing a RHEL clone was that the support for packages would stop.  Before I
> start getting flames back....stop and save your energy.... I'm very grateful
> and not complaining but I believe that Whitebox has a pretty big base.
>
> According to distrowatch:
> Top 5 RHEL-based distributions
> 1. White Box Enterprise Linux
> 2. CentOS
> 3. Lineox Enterprise Linux
> 4. Tao Linux
> 5. Fermi Linux
>
> But all these other distros have the updated packages, again put down the
> keyboard and stop the flame reply, I'm getting to my point soon.  With all
> these people using this distro, there should be no excuse for this! John and
> Vikki can't be expected to do this all by themselves.  Yes I know I should
> have posted this to the dev list but I think more people look at this list.
> This is the time to create a structure to have the users set up RPMS.  I, for
> one, volunteer my services/bandwidth(cable modem anyway :-P)/server/time to
> compile the packages and upload them to a central rsync server to propagate
> to all the others.   So if anyone knows the best way to set this up please
> feel free to post this, it would save me the time to find out.  I think what
> we need is:
>
> 1) Easiest way to get new released SRPMS for RHEL (obviously an automated
> process not "goto RH web site")
>
> 2) Automated way for compiling SRPMS and for the different supported
>  platforms
>
> 3) Way to keep track who has what SRPMS (I mean how many SRPMS does RH
> release?  if it is not too much I would do it all)
>
> 4) Testing and QA on RPMS also Checksum sig etc.
>
> If anyone else thinks other things should be added feel free to add to the
> list.
>

> Again I'm just here to make the distro better not to bad mouth (beside I have
> updated about 20 workstations to whitebox I would hate to have to switch).

I 100% agree with you?
Why aren't there any plans for Whitebox like distributing the updates?
Why are there so much single points of failures?
Cann't most of these task (rebuilding the source rpm's,providing a yum
repository) be delegated to other people EXCEPT for the maintainer of
White Box?

Michiel