[WBEL-users] Rsync Updates Organizing

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:06:33 -0500

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 19:22 +0100, Michiel van Es wrote:
> >> That sucks big time!
> >> Is this a COMMUNITY distro or not?
> >

> > Not.
>
> Oh ..if so..who is providing the feedback for broken packages and
> offering their help to keep the updates up2date?

There is a community on the list, but WBEL is not a community distro at
this point.  As pointed out earlier in the thread, users are free to
take WBEL as a starting point and support the resulting fork (generally
considered a negative outcome and indication of failure of the original
effort)  as a true community distro, or jump ship to one of the other
alternatives.  Absent more involvement or acceptance of help from the
kind and generous library folks who have brought us all this far, that
may well be the result.  At least two people have offered to set up
servers, and several others have offered to help in package building.

Some possible alternatives seem to be:

0.  Status quo - wait for WBEL to do updates (and cut the complaints).

1.  WBEL maintainers accept help, provide leadership, and let it become
    a community distro.

2.  WBEL maintainers pass the torch to new leaders who carry on as a
    community distro.

3.  Fork a community distro - requires leadership, host sites,
    SRPM re-builders, not to mention a new name.

4.  Your $0.02 here...

To me #1 seems the best outcome unless the lag in #0 updates decreases.
The other two could be viable if strong capable leaders step forward.
#3 is the least preferable.

Phil