[WBEL-users] Rsync Updates Organizing

Ben Mohilef benm@dsl-only.net
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:15:21 -0800

On 19 Nov 2004 at 19:22, Michiel van Es wrote:

> Oh ..if so..who is providing the feedback for broken packages and
> offering their help to keep the updates up2date?

I am surprised that beau.org hasn't pulled the plug on this mailing
list. If I were a taxpayer in Beauregard Parish, I would be
screaming my head off if my library employees were fiddling with
open source software distribution instead of maintaining my library
system.

They have done a wonderful job in getting Whitebox linux started.
RedHat is doing an excellent job in making the source code
updates available to people like us who haven't even paid a cent
for the distribution ( recall the GPL - they only have to provide
source code to their customers ).

Rolling your own from the RH Sources is fairly easy (except for
openoffice which requires 10Gb free in /usr,  as I found out the hard
way).

As the comedy of fedoralegacy.org shows, a herd of volunteers
requires a lot of good organization and a lot of security checking or
it will fail. If you want to start such a group for whitebox, you are
certainly free to do so. However, if you do so, be aware that you
may be held personally liable for the security issues should one of
the packages end up trojanned. I can see why beau.org would want
to avoid that situation.

I trust RedHat and Whitebox. Mostly trust Centos. Definitely trust
my own builds. However, I wouldn't trust a herd effort on any
machine connected to the internet unless there was a very
extensive package testing system implemented.