[WBEL-users] Rsync Updates Organizing

David Mir mir@soartech.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:52:33 -0500

On Friday 19 November 2004 01:53 pm, William Hooper wrote:
> David Mir said:
> > Some of us (and I believe as more people start noticing,
> > most of us) don't like updates disappearing from the main distro server
> > (ncsu.edu).
>
> ncsu.edu isn't the main distro server, it just happens to be one a number
> of people use.

Well, whatever you want to call it (to-mate-toe or to-mott-toe), the fact is
that when ncsu.edu "went down" A LOT of the other major mirrors went down too
(hint: they probably use ncsu.edu as their source too, thus ncsu.edu would at
least be considered one of the main distribution servers for WhiteBox
updates).

> > So those of us are using the mailing list for users (your
> > looking at it) to communicate to start keeping updates .... up to date!
> > With
> > or without john/vikki (no offense if they don't have time, they don't
> > have time which is fine).  So lets drop the "if you don't like it
> > leave.." garbage,
>
> Why?  If you don't like how Whitebox is managed there are many other
> rebuilds out there.  I'm sure you can find one that will do what you want.
>  Why should Whitebox have to conform to what you want it to be?  It isn't
> your project.

You don't have to, in fact you didn't have to read this post or reply to it,
as I suggested at the end of my previous post for which you ignored then
complained about doing it (make up your mind).  And no said it's not my
project nor did I ever imply anything close to it, nor did I imply in any way
that whitebox needs to "conform" to my way.  What I was saying (is there an
echo in here?) is that my original post was for people interested in creating
another RPM update server, whether you use it or not is up to you (BTW I
don't care if you don't). Oh yeah this isn't your project either so you don't
have to read threads (this is why most mailing list have this function) that
you are not interested in.

> Look at it another way:
> 1) WBEL is for the library
> 2) John knows if he rebuilds and tests the updates, they will work for the
> library
> 3) If anyone else can get some use from the updates, good.  If not, oh
> well.
>
> I don't know jack about you or why I should trust you to build updates.

You don't have too, in fact you didn't have to reply/read to this thread
(there's that echo again) like I mentioned in my previous post.

> > if you don't want to contribute stop reading this thread.  For
> > those who want to get together lets do it and start this thing.
>
> Having seen a bunch of these threads in the past, I would say "put up or
> shut up".  Either get your group together to do what you want them to do
> (as you say above, without it being "Official"), or quit complaining about
> it on this list.  The best way to convince people is to already have
> something in place, not just talk about it over and over.

Again no one is complaining about the distro (damn that was another echo
almost sounded like I've said that like 5 times already), but this is where
whitebox users look for information about and communicate with other whitebox
users.  So this would be the logical place to start a discuss on a group of
us starting our own RPM update server (which BTW doesn't have to listed in
whitebox site like many many other ftp servers that are not listed but still
carry white box updates).  So maybe once we get started and organized we will
not post here anymore, though there would be nothing wrong with that as what
we are doing is related to whitebox.  That is about as dumb as saying "Stop
posting about an apache problem on whitebox...you should be posting in an
apache forum".  No if it is related to whitebox in anyway (considering we
will still be using whitebox just some of us will be maintaining our own
updates) it should be posted here.  If you do like the thread don't read it
(just in case you missed this before).

> To take my own advice, I will now shut up about it.

Well first thing we agree on :-) .

--
David Mir