[WBEL-users] Rsync Updates Organizing

Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:24:46 -0500

--=_alternative 0070222085256F51_=

Oh, goody.  It does not say customers.  They released it outside of their
organization, they are obligated to supply the source code.
To wit:

"Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to
the public?
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are
free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing
them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an
organization can make a modified version and use it internally without
ever releasing it outside the organization.
But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL
requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's
users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain
ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is
up to you."

Yes it says "users," and we can argue semantics all day if you like.

=========================
Scott Mace
Security Administrator
Travelcenters of America
440-808-4318
mace.scott@tatravelcenters.com
=========================

"William Hooper" <whooperhsd2@earthlink.net>
Sent by: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
11/19/2004 02:47 PM

whitebox-users@beau.org
cc

Subject
Re: [WBEL-users] Rsync Updates Organizing

Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com said:
> On 19 Nov 2004 at 19:22, Michiel van Es wrote:
>

> ( recall the GPL - they only have to provide
> source code to their customers ).
>

> Wrong.  They have to provide the source code.  Period.

Oh, goody, this again.

Well,

a) No, they have to distribute the source code to people that they
distribute binaries to.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

b) Not everything in RHEL or WBEL is covered by the GPL.

--
William Hooper

--=_alternative 0070222085256F51_=

&nbsp;They released it outside of their organization, they are obligated
to supply the source code. &nbsp;</font>
code of modified versions be posted to the public? </font>
your modified version. You are free to make modifications and use them
privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including
companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it
internally without ever releasing it outside the organization. </font>
to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source
code available to the program's users, under the GPL.</font>
the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision
of whether to release it is up to you.&quot; </font>
can argue semantics all day if you like. &nbsp;</font>
=========================<br>
Scott Mace<br>
Security Administrator<br>
Travelcenters of America<br>
440-808-4318<br>
mace.scott@tatravelcenters.com<br>
=========================</font>
&lt;whooperhsd2@earthlink.net&gt;</b> </font>
Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com said:<br>
&gt; On 19 Nov 2004 at 19:22, Michiel van Es wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ( recall the GPL - they only have to provide<br>
&gt; source code to their customers ).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Wrong. &nbsp;They have to provide the source code. &nbsp;Period.<br>
Oh, goody, this again.<br>
Well,<br>
a) No, they have to distribute the source code to people that they<br>
distribute binaries to.<br>
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html<br>
b) Not everything in RHEL or WBEL is covered by the GPL.<br>
-- <br>
William Hooper<br>