[WBEL-users] Using WB for Enterprise level Networks

Thomas E. Haynes haynest@mchsi.com
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:17:49 -0500

Last (academic) year we were running E-Smith, and it worked very well for us
too. For a while we were using the E-Smith machine as the squid/filter box
as well. I got concerned about the lack up updates, and the project seemed
to be grinding to a halt.

I had installed Whitebox on the developmental machine in December, and
converted the LAMP machine over in January. At the end of this summer, the
main student file/web server made the move. Currently the developmental
machine is running ClarkConnect 3 beta, which is based on Fedora Core. Who
knows what the future holds, but I figure if Sourceforge is running Fedora,
it is worth a hard look.

As an academic institution, we could get a RHEL AS license for the two
machines at $50 each per year.

I am playing with Debian (Sarge) on my laptop.

The bottom line is that I am in an environment that is very windows-centric.
They tolerate the Linux because is works and integrates seamlessly with the
network as far as the user is concerned. The tech staff essentially does
nothing with the Linux machines (I am a Math teacher.), and they are getting
money for nothing and checks for free. As soon as I have downtime or a
security problem, I may very well lose the Linux boxes.

Reliability and security are critical to me, and I rely on these machines to
do my job.

FWIW...   Tom