[WBEL-users] Mirror list - yet another mirror (Europe)

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs@uni-konstanz.de
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:48:59 +0100

Johannes Puschmann wrote:
> christian.huegel@fedoraforum.de wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a "worldwide" Mirror list aviable for WBEL? The mirrors on
>> the WBEL-site are all from US or New-Zeeland.
>

> Not really.
> GDS (Goodie Domain Service)is located in Austria/Vienna, Belnet is from
> Belgium.
>
>  > I´m asking because its easyer
>
>> to get an overview about the mirrors out there and easyier to  manage
>> my yum.conf especially for people in Europe like me. Two examples
>> about what i´m talking about can be found here [1] and here [2].
>>

>> [1] http://andrew.triumf.ca/pub/linux/redhat-mirror2.html
>> [2] http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
>

> [1] is nice.
> When i find the time, i will try to implement it on one of my
> company-servers.
>
> Regards
> Pusch

I'm in Germany, but found gd.tuwien.ac.at to be very slow (on the order of
20kB/sec) for my purposes - keeping about 15-20 Whitebox Linux clients up and
running.

I have my own Whitebox mirror which anybody is welcome to use. Its Internet
connection (University of Konstanz) is fast (> 1MB/sec). I mirror ncsu.edu with

rsync -av mirror.physics.ncsu.edu::whitebox/3.0/en/ ~ftp/whitebox/3.0/en/ \
--exclude=SRPMS --exclude=obsolete-updates --exclude=liberation-\*.iso \
--include=liberation-respin\*.iso

so I exclude the old .iso files and all the SRPMs and obsolete stuff.

To use it (sorry, currently no rsync or http service), put the following into
/etc/yum.conf :

[base]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=ftp://turn5.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/whitebox/$releasever/en/os/$basearch

[updates-released]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=ftp://turn5.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/whitebox/$releasever/en/updates/

Of course I cannot make promises concerning long-time availability; my plan is
to keep this service as long as Whitebox serves my needs which it has been doing
nicely since it became available.

Kay