[WBEL-users] Different Subject on Eneterprise Linux

Paul subsolar@subsolar.org
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:06:15 -0600

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 11:51 -0500, Dominic Iadicicco wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  For those using B,CentOS,SL, or RHEL  with a Samba only domain
> controller.  How do you do windows client updates?  What do you use for
> a SUS type of server?  I have heard of non MS based products that will
> run on XP 2000 wks and update a whole network but have not tried any of
> them personally.

I had some thoughts of trying to reverse the chat between the Windows
Update client and SUS server, but decided it was easier to just pay MS
$800 for a W2K Server license and use SUS.

Since all the 50+ W2K workstations at work all have the same
administrator password and the administrative share is avaiable on them
(\\<workstation>\C$) I used a batch file to copy over batch file that
would apply all the patches I wanted off of one of our samba servers.

The only reason I stopped was SUS seemed like less work on my part to
keep system patched since not all the systems would be on during the day
and many patched required rebooting, so I would end up comming in over
the weekend and switching on all the workstations, preparing my install
script and then executing to update workstations.  With SUS I just
approved the updates and whenever a configured client attaches to the
network it gets all the approved updates.

If you want I could send you the batch files I used to update the
systems.

Regards,
Paul Berger