[WBEL-users] Different Subject on Eneterprise Linux

Jason Balicki kodak@frontierhomemortgage.com
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:29:20 -0600

Dominic Iadicicco <> wrote:
>  For those using B,CentOS,SL, or RHEL  with a Samba only domain
> controller.  How do you do windows client updates?  What do you use
> for a SUS type of server?  I have heard of non MS based products that
> will run on XP 2000 wks and update a whole network but have not tried
> any of them personally.

Dominic,

Check out patchmanagement.org.  They have a mailing list that
is pretty active where we discuss these issues.  There are many
commercial packages that do what you're looking to do without
having to have a MS server.  There are free alternatives, but
they all require significant work on your end to set up and
maintain.

The el-cheapo option is to just use the built in windows-updates,
but that has significant drawbacks (which I suspect you're aware
of, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. :)

Personally, I'm between patch management options.  I was trying
to push them with logon scripts, but that got to be non-tractable
(and very, very frustrating) mostly because I don't have the
time to implement that sort of thing.  I'm a one man IT shop
and it's all I can do just to keep my users from electrocuting
themselves.

HTH,

--J(K)