[WBEL-users] Virtual memory tuning?

Christian Nygaard chris@math.uu.se
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:56:59 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, James Knowles wrote:

> > system only freezes for moments when its swapping
>
> Yeah. I hate that in the 2.4 kernel, even with the 2.6 backports. I've not
> seen this behaviour under a real 2.6 kernel.

Thanks haven't heard of that before, so news others are experiencing the
same.

> The bad use of memory (per the bug) is a separate issue. The only workaround
> that I've been able to find is to use a tiny Perl program to chew up huge
> amounts of memory and release it. This forces everything to page. Then let the
> system restablize. But it's not a long-term solution either. The problem
> slowly re-apprears.
>
> Just the behaviour I've seen.

I tried tuning the disk cache size down a bit using vm.pagesize since I
have a feeling the cache was to large. Ie it swapped out processes in
order to free disk cache :), which I'm not so sure is a good behavior
during heavy memload.

//Christian