[WBEL-users] Multi-language support added to existing WBEL installation

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser@frontiernet.net
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:32:32 -0500

I have a WBEL workstation that has been installed with language support
only for English. My youngest daughter is a college student studying to
be a linguist and needs to be able to do papers in OpenOffice (or
whatever app) in Spanish and French for now, possibly other languages
later on. (There has been talk about learning Arabic!)

While searching for answers on how to do this, I came across this link:

http://lists.blu.org/pipermail/discuss/2003-August/043087.html

The post implies that adding multi-language support *after* an
installation is pretty difficult and/or intense, and that RH's
multi-lingual support is marginal. I am not sure that I understand what
is being said here, so I will make no assumptions. I'm an intermediate
user of Linux, so not all things possible are even probable for me to
tackle.

I really don't want to install WBEL again from scratch. Neither do I
want to admit that Windows makes language switching so easy.

Can I accomplish the task outlined here without a re-install?

If I can add the languages, will this be a Herculean feat for an
intermediate like myself?

If I have to install from scratch, what would I be looking to do
differently at the start of Anaconda to be sure that the languages I
think would be of interest to her would be made available upon
completion?

Lastly, once installed (through adding or re-installation), should I be
able to change system language/keyboard character mapping by using
Gnome's keyboard switching utility, or will this be more difficult to
do?

Any suggestions, pointers, links, even prayers, gratefully accepted. :0)
Thanks in advance.

Paul