[WBEL-users] Eeedjits guide to recompiling PHP required please!

iron monkey iron monkey <quan.lo@gmail.com>
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:22:09 -0500

You may want to consider going the php-odbc route?

php-odbc is already built into WBEL.

Of course that is probably going to lead you into the unixODBC stuff,
but it's an alternative to rebuilding the world...

If you chose to rebuild the world, One option may be to create your
own PHP RPM's from th e WBEL php SRPM.  It'd be a little tricky, but I
believe that with all appropriate *-devel-* RPMs you should be able to
roll your down.  IIRC, WBEL is self-hosting, so you can rebuild SRPMS.

You'd have to then manually rebuild the PHP stuff yourself anytime an
update came through...  So YMMV...

by going the roll your own route, here's another alternative...see if
you can build freetds as a php loadable module rather than statically
linking it in to the main php module...  If you can build it that way,
then you should create a separate RPM just like php-odbc, php-mysql,
etc...  You'd have to learn and modify the php.spec file and add a new
region for php-freetds by using the php-odbc sections as an example.

Then the whole thing would be redistributable as well...  *wink*

If you did that, then you'd still be able to get the RPM updates for
WBEL from yum...

I think anyways...  Never tried this completely.

Mark