WBEL Repository like Freshrpms -- was Re: [WBEL-users] nvidia nforce boards and integrated NIC

bishop bishop@platypus.bc.ca
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:56:52 -0700

Hi Johnny,

As you may have read in the message immediately preceding this one,
unfortunately some packagers' RPMs cannot be rebuilt without the help of
unspecified magic macros that usually do not appear in the SPEC file but
are assumed to be in the development environment.

In other words, the SRPM is incomplete and cannot be used to reliably
build the binary packages -- even though such is the goal of the design
of RPM:

> RPM was designed to build software packages reliably and reproducibly. Software development using RPM proceeds in strict stages from virgin sources...
> -- Jeff Johnson,
> RPM Maintainer
> http://www.redhat.com/knowledgebase/rpm3.0/building.html

While I largely enjoy the benefit of Mr Wieers' packages, it must be
understood that some porting to a Linux standard build must be done,
usually just in the area of completing the definition of the macro kit
is currently delivered with the RPM.  His packages are usually very
sound, but always ship without the crutch of a very rich set of macros.

It's unfortunate, but it's a direction that both Mr Wieers and Mr Thimm
have logically chosen, and it does put more work on us if we choose to
port to another distro not already shipping from their build network.
Unfortunately WBEL is not exactly like RHEL, as evidenced by Mr Morris'
work to 'buy' RHEL updates into WBEL and the labour involved.  We can't
just grab RHEL packages and expect them to work *all* the time, no more
than we can grab EH9 packages and expect them to work.  The risk is
always there, and I'm in the small crowd that prefers reliability over
this-week's-code.  It's why I'm not running FC2 during its remarkably
short lifetime.

While I'm here, though, I do want to say that I really do enjoy Mr
Saou's packages.  His FreshRPMs site is consistently a source of
well-built RPMs of quality greater than some distros currently being
sold to unwitting retail customers today.  FreshRPMs and the Falsehope
site are outstanding in the field, in my professional opinion.

  - bish