[WBEL-users] WBEL Repositories

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

Conor Wynne said:
[snip]
> [root@p3000 motocross]# up2date -i snort
>

> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: Dag...
>

> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: RH9-ATrpms...
>

> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: jpackage15-rhes-3...

This shows an issue with your new config...

[snip]
> All I changed in my /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file, was the comment out
> the following:
>
> # Note that you won't actually access the primary whitebox site unless
> # you comment out the yum-mirror lines below, and unless you are on the
> # BPL WAN you will probably get an IP ban.
> #
> #yum WBEL3 http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/3.0/en/os/$ARCH
> #yum WBEL3-Updates http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/3.0/en/updates
> #yum WBEL3-Extras http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/3.0/en/extras

You need to uncomment these lines.  As you can see in the above output you
are no longer checking for any WBEL3 Updates.

> This is confusing to me because above states that it wont access the
> primary site unless you comment out the mirrors. So because of that
> statement I left it as it was.

This is correct.  The "yum WBEL3..." lines are needed to provide the
"channel" config.  However, the yum-mirror lines cause up2date to look at
the yum-mirror URL for a list of mirrors and pick one.

This means with the both the yum and yum-mirror lines uncommented, you
will get updates from a random mirror.  With just the yum lines (and the
yum-mirror lines commented) you will be trying to use whiteboxlinux.org.
With just the yum-mirror lines (and the yum lines commented) you get
nothing.

--
William Hooper