[WBEL-users] redhat seems committed to keep is RHEL SRPMS open

Michael Cozzi cozzi@cozziconsulting.com
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:19:55 -0500

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>Redhat's being nice, as well as smart.  RH's allowing projects like WBEL
>to exist is good for their bottom dollar.  Shops like the one where I work
>use WBEL for training and trying out new ideas, then purchase RHEL ES or
>AS to actually run the production boxes.  In fact, I'm giving an
>introductory class on Thursday using WBEL to train sysadmins.  This is in
>prep for our replacing all of our WinNT 4.0 boxes with RHEL ES boxes and
>using Samba as our PDC/BDCs.
>
>(boy, talk about doing research!  Those Samba docs are good, but LONG...)

    Just a few thoughts Benjamin,

    I agree with you.

    I run WBEL, RH9 (transitioning out), and CentOS on my production
boxes where they are the core of a small business. I sell my clients
pedigreed RHE3. When they move to another consultant, or finally get an
in-house IT person, they've got support and all the goodies.

    I was initially saddened by the change in RedHat's licensing scheme
due to my former reliance on RH 6,7,8,9. Today, I'm glad they took that
road since now there are three RHE3 source based distros out there. I
suspect there will be even more.

    Additionally, were RedHat to close itself up tightly with a razor's
edge interpretation of the GPL, they would find that people would form
other companies that would work on the bsis of the older business model.

    Michael

--
Michael Cozzi
cozzi@cozziconsulting.com